Tittle/Qualifications:PHD Candidate (Humboldt University, Germany), LL.M – University of the Western Cape, SA,LLB, University of Nairobi (UON), Dip. Law (Kenya School of Law).
Department: Public Law, School of Law
Contact Address:Kenyatta University, School of Law, P.O BOX 48123-00100, NRB – 00100, Nairobi – Kenya
Areas of specialization :
International Criminal Law, Anti-corruption Law, Law against organized Crime and money laundering & Transitional Justice.
RESEARCH AND CONSULTING EXPERIENCE
- Consultancy to assess the Tenure Framework of Private and Community Conservancies in Kenya, Kenya Wildlife Conservancies Association, KWCA.
- A Consultancy with FAO, UNEP and UNDP on Analyzing the Policy, Legal and Regulatory Framework for REDD+ implementation in Kenya.
- (August 2015 – June 2016)
- A consultancy on the United Nations Reducing Emissions from
- Deforestation and Forest Degradation (UN REDD) in collaboration with Cambridge University, Centre for Climate Change adaptation and Mitigation. (2013-2014).
- A consultancy to draft the Legal Framework on Election Observation Report for the Kenyan March 2013 Elections, Election Observation Group, ELOG. Project funded by SIDA , 2013
- A consultancy to conduct a Baseline survey on Gender Based Violence in Roysambu Area of Nairobi. August 2011. Kenya Child and Women Wellness Centre & the James Jordan Foundation.
- A Consultancy for Facilitation of a Forum on Gender and Transitional Justice Mechanisms. FIDA Kenya., 3rd November 2010
- Baseline Survey on Public Perception of the Truth Justice and Reconciliation Process in Kenya, CRECO Kenya. July 2010-August 2010.
- A Consultancy to compile a Research for a Handbook in Electoral Dispute Resolution, by International Institute of Democracy and Electoral Assistance, (International IDEA) and Institute for Education In Democracy, IED. 12th December, 2008
- Consultancy in Monitoring By-Elections for Bomet and Sotik by-Elections in 2008 with Institute for Education in Democracy (IED). 23rd September 2008
- Consultancy in Strategic Planning for Institute for Education in Democracy, (IED). 22nd August 2008
- Member of the Editorial Board, in a journal titled ‘Pre-Conflict Management in Africa: Free and Fair Elections’, a publication by African Center for Rights and Governance, ACRAG. 2007
RESEARCH, ACADEMIC AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- The gender perspective to peace Support Operations: A comprehensive approach” focusing on gender dimensions of International Humanitarian Law (October 2016, January 2017), a course offered to Peace Keepers at the International Peace Support Training Center (IPSTC).
- Participated as external examiner and marker for various institutions including Council for Legal Education (Bar Examinations) and Riara University.
- Participated in Law Course and Module Designs for various institutions including Law for Bachelor of Tourism Students, Law for Forensic Science Students, and presently designing an Armed Law course for the Kenya Defence Forces under Kenyatta University.
- Prepared guidelines on Assessment preparations and submissions by Faculty staff.
- Prepared Faculty guidelines on Mooting
- Prepared and steered curriculum review for the subjects of Legal Research and Writing incorporating ways to enhance learning and learning outcomes as far as research and writing is concerned
- Involvement in over 30 local and International Law Moot Court competition exercises as a participant, administrator, lecturer, judge, and tutor in over 8 different countries. These include: the Jessup International Law Competition, The Jean Pictet International Humanitarian Law competition, The Children’s Moot, The All Kenyan Law Competition, the ICRC African Moot Court Competition on Humanitarian Law, the All Africa Human Rights Moot Court and other local internal University moot sessions
Publications, Research, Conferences Attended and Trainings Conducted
o Pedagogical approaches in International Humanitarian Law, African Year Book on International Humanitarian Law. (ongoing)
o The Elements of Benefit-sharing for REDD+ in Kenya: A Legal Perspective, (co-Author), Carbon & Climate Law Review, Volume 9 (2015), Issue 4, Page 283 - 297”
o The legal and regulatory framework for water services in Kenya, presentation made to the Water Services Trust Fund, September 2016
o “Children and terror: assessing the extent to which International Humanitarian Law offers protective mechanisms and remedies” during the International conference on the impact of armed conflict on children and youth , Organized by African Network for the Prevention and Protection against Child Abuse and Neglect (ANPPCAN), 2016
o “Patient Centered Care: Assessing the Legal Exposure of Medical Practitioners” Ongoing Research to be presented during the Global Conference on Patient Centered Care at Kenyatta University. September, 2015.
o ‘Corporate Criminal Responsibility for violations of International humanitarian Law’, Presented during the ICRC Round Table, September 2015.
o Gender Issues in Kenya’s REDD+ implementation, July 2014. (Co- Author) Publication as part of REDD+ Law Project Briefing Paper. The REDD+ Law Project is led by Baker & McKenzie and the Cambridge Centre for Climate Change Mitigation Research (University of Cambridge).
o Land and Environmental Governance related to REDD+ implementation in Kenya. July 2014. . (Co- Author) Publication as part of REDD+ Law Project. The REDD+ Law Project is led by Baker & McKenzie and the Cambridge Centre for Climate Change Mitigation Research (University of Cambridge).
o Creating an Enabling Legal Framework for REDD+ investments in Kenya, June 2014.(Co- Author) Publication as part of REDD+ Law Project. The REDD+ Law Project is led by Baker & McKenzie and the Cambridge Centre for Climate Change Mitigation Research (University of Cambridge).
o The Place of Criminal Responsibility in Reconciliation and National Healing, a Kenya Truth, Justice and Reconciliation Commission (KTJRC) Publication.
o A Commentary of The Pre-Trial Chamber II Decision (Authorizing the ICC Prosecutor to Carry out Investigations In Kenya) as it Relates To The Truth, Justice And Reconciliation Process In Kenya., (2010), Submitted for Publication in the International Criminal Court Students Network, ICCSN.
o Drawing the Borderlines: Truth, Justice & Reconciliation Mechanisms/Amnesties and the International Criminal Court. Submitted as Research Paper for Masters in Law (LL.M). Published as a Monograph by LAP Publishing Company.
o Terrorism and the War on Terror: A Critical Analysis of the Legal Challenges of Interpretation and Implementation of Contemporary Humanitarian Law. Submitted as Dissertation in Undergraduate studies.
o A Jurisprudential Analysis of Law, Morality, and Genocide: Retributive Justice. Case Study: Rwanda (1994), Submitted for Publication on National Council for Law Reporting, NCLR. Available at www.kenyalaw.org Articles Section.
o The Crime of Illicit Enrichment under International Anti-Corruption Legal Regime, National Council of Law Reporting. Available at www.kenyalaw.org Articles Section.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS / MEMBERSHIPS
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
- Co-Convenor of the Criminal Justice Committee of LSK.
- Board Member-Haki Mashinani
- Member of the Advisory Board- International Yearbook of Soil Law and Policy